Common Household Items That Are Poisonous To Your Dog
As pet owners, we do everything that we can to protect our furry members of the family. Here at Doerr Animal Clinic in Louisville, we want to help you protect your pet from common items that can make it ill. Many household items can result in emergency care due to the substance found in the products, so it is essential to see our emergency vet when your animal ingested a poisonous product.
Below is a list of some of the most common household items that are toxic to dogs:
- Chocolate, Coffee, And Other Products with Caffeine: These three products have one ingredient in common: methylxanthine. Methylxanthine levels vary widely in chocolate, such as dark chocolate has higher concentration levels than white chocolate. If your animal ingest these items, he or she may experience vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, or seizures.
- Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause serious health problems for pets, including depression, hypothermia, vomiting, and weakness in the back legs. If your dog has consumed macadamia nuts, he or she will need to be treated right away.
- Grapes, Raisins, And Currants: These sweets can cause kidney failure, vomiting, extreme thirst, lethargy, and even death. If you think your pet may have consumed grapes or currants, call your vet immediately for prompt care.
- Onion, Garlic, And Chives: Onions, garlic, and chives might not cause harm in small amounts, but larger amounts can make your dog have gastrointestinal inflammation.
- Alcohol: Be careful leaving alcohol out because brewer’s yeast and baker’s yeast can cause vomiting, diarrhea, reduce coordination, and difficulty breathing in animals.
- Detergent and Insecticides: These household items are poisonous to pets, and if your animal consumed some of it, emergency treatment is needed immediately.
Call Our Emergency Vet Right Away For Treatment
If you live in Louisville or the surrounding area and need to see an emergency vet, look no further than Doerr Animal Clinic. We can help determine if your dog consumed a poisonous substance. Call us at 502-425-1275 for more information about common household items that are poisonous to dogs.